5 Killer Ways to Use Snapchat to Market Your Business
With over 100 million daily users and over 400 million snaps a day, Snapchat is one of the fastest growing social networks. It’s a fantastic way to increase and build your community, create engagement and brand awareness.
Things to remember when using Snapchat:
- Keep it short and simple
- Keep it fun
- Keep it casual
Businesses are using Snapchat to create daily “stories” that not only engage, but also excite their audience. These stories, a string of photos and videos, only lasting 24 hours can make a big impact on the viewer. Here are 5 killer ways to use Snapchat for your business:
1. Behind the scenes
Take your followers behind the curtain so they can see what really goes on to generate awareness and excitement about your business. This is a great way to show your following how your business is different from others and help them to feel involved.
“Why not just use Instagram for this?”, you may be saying. The wonderful thing about Snapchat is that you can virtually post unlimited content. By posting a lot of content on Instagram, you could be seen as spammy. With Snapchat, you can document the entire day, and continue updating your story gradually to keep your followers engaged without it being noisy or annoying.
- Sneak peeks of upcoming product launches
- A funny, everyday thing that happened
- Broadcasting a live event
- People testing or using your product
2. Tell a story or give a tutorial
Snap videos are very short, which makes them easy for viewers to digest (especially while on the go). Many Snappers view snaps to fill times, like waiting in line or waiting for the bus. If you give them brief content they will love it. You may be asking, how can I tell a story in 10 seconds? Well, the good news is you add multiple videos or photos in your story that will play one after another, so you can create a fast (but detailed) narrative.
Types of stories to share:
- Quick tutorials
- Cool tips from an industry leader
- “You wouldn’t believe what happened to me today”
- Today I learned…
- “Aha” moments
3. Hold a contest
This is where Snapchat can give you measurable traffic. Since each snap in a story lasts 24 hours, you should plan a campaign ahead of time. The key is to cross-pollinate different social platforms to generate more buzz. Once you understand how people use the platform, you can create contents based on how your followers work.
Try these contests:
- Try asking your followers to screenshot the image (which Snapchat will show you) and pick one of these people to win. You could even take this one step further and ask them to share the screenshot on another social network, like Twitter, using your hashtag
- Encourage followers to view your snaps on other social media networks to receive coupon codes
- Ask your followers to send snaps to you and choose a winning entry
4. Invite participation
This is also a great tactic to generate measurable traffic. Replying to every snap isn’t practical, but it is nice and personable to do it once in awhile. Instead, you could always ask people to reply to a question you ask, or ask followers to screenshot your image and post a reply on another social network.
Many YouTubers have used participation for their marketing. For example, they will post on their Snapchat two video options asking viewers to “vote” for the video they would like to see. The user then screenshots it and the one with the most screenshots wins. Likewise, Sephora has engaged Snapchat crossovers in which they urge viewers to doodle their best makeup, save the photo, and post it to social.
Get users to take action after seeing your snaps by:
- Encouraging followers to take a screenshot of a snap (bonus this is measurable!). Try doing this to act as a vote, a quote you live by, or even a coupon code
- Asking followers to visit your website. Make sure there is a good reason for them to do so. For example, share half of your blog post on Snapchat and tell viewers it is continued on your website.
- Create a specific landing page or LGM for your snap followers and track this with Google Analytics.
- If you are sharing a link, try using Bitly to shorten it! It will make it easier to share and remember, learn how to use Bitly here.
5. SnapChat Take Over
Try letting another influencer take over your Snapchat for the day! All you have to do is give them access to your account (and your guidelines)! Likewise, you can partner with influencers to take over their Snapchat and show their audience a unique perspective, all while expanding your reach (click here for more ways to be seen fast). This is a great way to shake up your Snapchat and give more valuable information.
To develop a creative way to present the information, try:
- Doodling for humor or emphasis
- String your snaps together to tell a story
- Make use of Geotags and face filters