10 Awesome Websites to Find the Best Animated GIFs
*Le sigh* Remember the days of animated butterflies all stacked in a row and spinning email icons? So simple, yet so effective. There was never a question of where to find your brand-spanking new AOL email address. Ah, those were the days. Wait, no they weren’t.
An animated GIF (or Graphics Interchange Format) is a bitmap image format widely used on the Internet for its flexibility. GIF was one of the first two image formats used on the web before the arrival of JPEG in 1992. They’ve come a long way, or at least we’ve become more creative with how to use them. Social media networks like Google+ are now adopting animated GIF’s in their streams, and even in Google+’s cover photos.
Here are 10 awesome sites to find animated GIF’s (in no particular order):
Tips on Using Animated GIFs in your online marketing:
- Use GIFs for call-to-actions to entice users to click, including inside of emails
- Mezmerize your audience by using Cinemagraphs to highlight your product
- Create products or program tutorials using LICEcap
- Add an animated GIF cover photo to your Google+ profile for branding or conveying a promo or update
- Create a 360 view of your product, store, process or anything else you’re looking to sell and post it on your website
Update 01/06/2015: Facebook now supports animated GIFs!
I bet you’re wondering why animated GIFs always look so low res. GIFs only support 8 bits per pixel and a palette of only 256 colors for each frame. Not the best if you’re trying to achieve a high definition video. But hey, they kept us entertained pre-YouTube and continue on today.For nostalgia, check out this retro website (hosted on Angelfire!) complete with ’90-esque GIFs.